Pages

Monday, August 23, 2010

Artistic Polar Bear Challenge: 100 Ways In 100 Days. #99 - Drawing With Acrylic....Sort Of

I woke up this morning with an unexplainable case of Fuzz Brain.  Basic Brain was taking care of all of it's usual tasks - I was able to breathe, stand, walk, and talk somewhat coherently, but anything much beyond that was taking a concentrated effort.  I found myself standing in the middle of my kitchen, knowing I needed to do something but couldn't remember what it was.  Thankfully, the loudly meowing, cranky fuzzball undulating around my ankles awakened me from my stupor, and reminded me of the task I set out to do ("...oh yeah, feed the cat"). 

I was at least able to find my way into the studio, but fresh ideas about how to create today's bear were not forthcoming.  I poked Right Brain with a mental stick several times, but all that issued were used ideas of past bears (...."collage"...*poke*..."color scheme"..*poke*..."substrate"...*poke*.."just do another collage, and stop poking me, dammit, I'm tired.").  A CAT scan taken of my skull would show Right Brain lying in a deflated, amorphous heap, currently incapable of creating a novel concept. 


In desperation, I grabbed the nearest thing within reach - the Clear Tar Gel.  I poured a puddle of it on the glass palette, then drew the bear into the wet gel. 

Acrylic Drawing Bear

Rather than swirling color through the wet gel, I wanted to paint transparent color on the front and back of the dried gel, creating optical color mixes.  The problem with this logic is that it takes the gel a full day to dry thoroughly enough to lift off of the glass, so it won't be dry until tomorrow.

Apparently Left Brain isn't functioning up to capacity, either.  Anyone know where I can get a new one?



So while we wait for the gel to dry, a guest artist has offered their take on the bear for today's blog.

Annette's Bear

Tomorrow - the finish of #99, and the final bear of the series.

5 comments:

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

Oh, this really made me laugh. On a daily basis, my poor brain must resemble your cat scan picture!!!
It was great that you had a helper in the studio to provide a polar bear drawing :)
Looking forward to seeing #99 and #100.

Nancy Goldman said...

I can't believe it has taken this long for your brain to demand a day's vacation from the $^#&@*# bears. How can a brain possibly be expected to come up with 100 ways to paint the same bear?????

I'm holding my breath to see 99 and 100. I hope you post early in the day....

RH Carpenter said...

Well, I'm glad you had a good guest artist to fill in today! I like Annette's bear :) Sorry about your brain but after 98 bears, I think it's probably ready for a little break and that's okay!! So...I'll wait patiently for your final bears and say again, I've really enjoyed the ride!

Linda Roth said...

You've done a phenomenal job. I can just imagine how drained you feel--but the finish line is in your sights. Hours away, you'll break though and bands will play. Congrats.

debwardart said...

Excuses, excuses - I don't want no excuses (cat scan notwithstanding) - I just wanna see 2 more fantastic, crazy, unique, "wish Ida painted them myself", whimsical polar bears (I'm apparently already suffering from withdrawal!!)