Pages

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Artistic Polar Bear Challenge: 100 Ways In 100 Days. #87 - Pumice Gel

Alright, I admit to being a Textureaholic.  There's just something about the depth and interest in textures that make me all gooey inside.  Today we're going really textured.  I loaded a piece of illustration board with Golden's Pumice Gel mixed with matte gel for adhesion.


This stuff even sounded strange.  When scooping it out of the jar, it made a sound like you hear when pulling your boot out of deep, sticky mud.  It sort of has the look. workability and structure of coarse beach sand.  I loaded it up on the board fairly thickly.

Once dry, I washed the whole thing with thinned fluid acrylic for the background color, then painted the bear with a drybrush technique.

Pumice Gel Bear

I could really put on my mad scientist cap with this stuff, adding it in varying degrees to paints and gels.  So much fun to have....so little time.

3 comments:

Cynthia Schelzig said...

On my screen it looks like Mr. Bear is in a blizzard...great effect...you should mail it to the guy who was just ATTACKED by one of these guys....was it in Norway I think? He says he forgives the bear...he was probably JUST HUNGRY....ohhh is THAT ALL! I assummmmed when a bear of great size grabs hold of your neck and does not LET GO till you shoot him ,,,that he just wanted to PLAY IN THE SNOOOOWWWWWWWWW......I will have to watch myself when I am out in the wilderness next time:)

Linda Roth said...

Great effect for a polar bear in a snow storm--good effect for depicting mottled areas--as in a wooded landscape.

Lisa Walsh said...

OMG Cynnie...that guy was attacked by a polar bear, and SURVIVED? He should thank his lucky stars that he wasn't devoured. I don't know if I would be wandering around in polar bear territory.

Snowstorm didn't even occur to me, Linda. It's amazing what a fresh set of artist's eyes will see. I like the wooded landscape idea.