Pages

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Artistic Polar Bear Challenge: 100 Ways In 100 Days. #81 - Gel Substrate

Today was a day to play with substrates.  I took a few brush loads of a satin soft gel, and merrily squished it around on heavy weight paper, then stood around tapping my foot, impatiently waiting for it to dry.  Once it was, I thinned fluid acrylics, and brushed them over the clear, textured surface.

Gel Substrate Bear

The heavy weight paper wasn't substantial enough to stand up to the thick gel, so it buckled in places, causing the thinned paint to pool in different areas.  It could be interesting to use this as part of a collage, but I didn't find that elusive artistic 'thrill of discovery' in this particular technique.

2 comments:

Linda Roth said...

It was just the support that did you in. Canvas Board would have held up--good to have laying around the studio.

Lisa Walsh said...

It certainly did. I've never tried canvas board. I'm not fond of the texture of canvas, but it would have worked well for the gel substrate.