Pages

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Artistic Polar Bear Challenge: 100 Ways In 100 Days. #60 - Warm Dominant Split Complementary

Here is an interesting color scheme.  It's like the complementary scheme, except one of the complements decided to take the day off and had two of it's analogous pals stand in.

Since I am addicted to Cobalt Turquoise, it had to be the first color.  That left Cadmium Orange and Medium Magenta to round out the split.


Warm Split Complementary Bear

I have to admit, for the first time in sixty days I found myself....what?  irritated?  disinterested?  irked?  vexed?  about having to paint the bear today.  I can't quite put my finger on the particular feeling, but I do have an idea why I'm feeling it. 
  • Summertime was not the time to take on a challenge like this.  With working full time, household chores, lawn maintenance, garden tending, dog exercise and amusement, outdoor festivals, friendly gatherings, block parties, vacations...you get the idea.  Too much to do and not enough time to do it in.   At times I just squeak a post in under the wire.  I'm eternally grateful to have a partner who's more than willing to pick up some of my slack so I can carve out some time in the studio.
  • One of the ideas behind doing this challenge was to learn some things, but with only a day to do a bear, it's just scratching the surface of the concept, and there's no time cushion for any re-do's.  Good or bad, it hits the blog, then on to the next.
  • On that same note, one day allows no time to explore an idea more fully.  I think today's color scheme is quite eye catching, but I've never used these hues in conjunction before, therefore I had no idea what I was doing.  The color scheme bears repeating (no pun intended) until I get a better feel for it, but can't do it right now.
  • It's 95 outside with a heat index over 100, so maybe underneath it all this whole rant is due to the fact that I'm just an overheated, tired, stressed, menopausal, multitasking crabby gal who needs to turn on the AC, grab a good book, a glass of iced tea, and put her feet up for a few hours.
I feel an ice cream binge coming on...that always cheers me up.

5 comments:

Linda Roth said...

I promised a drawing everyday for my blog Drawing-of-the-Day intended to get me back into painting. My spouse thought I was overzealous. He was right. You can't do a subject justice with the rest of your life going on. All you can do reasonably is produce a sketch. I've taken to showing the progress of a painting I'm working on and photos I'm considering for paintings. It takes the pressure off. Meanwhile, I am in the studio every day painting. My blog is working for me.

Terri Buchholz said...

Hey Sistah! Hat's off! I cannot even imagine how tired you are of your little polar buddy, not to mention coming up with countless approaches to painting him - and may I say, they've been very imaginative, (remembering dirt bear). I've spent the week in the plein air workshop I told you about, with one day yet to go, from 9-6 in this Godless humidity and heat. My head has spinning tweety birds in it from all the information, advice, critiques, and rules I've learned. I'm pretty saturated after only a week, so again, can't imagine how you've lasted this long. You have my respect!

Anonymous said...

Ditto the above; this is no small task you;re attempting. But you've already hit 60! Special kudos to you. (Great idea to take the compositional decisions out of it by doing the same subject.)

I agree, these are very cool color combinations. I'm head to WI this weekend, is Palatine up north? It's been in the upper 90's here in CO, so I guess I'm ready.

Perhaps include a lt.pale veridian from that mint choc chip ice cream I'm thinking about. :)

Lisa Walsh said...

Hi Linda. I agree, you can't do a subject justice with just a day. These bears are about as quick and sketch-y as it gets. I started this challenge and I'm going to finish it, but when I'm done, I'm going back to your method!


Hey Terri! Wassup girlfriend? You have my respect, I don't know how you're painting outside in this hellish heat and humidity. I may have to do a bear a day, but at least I'm inside in the AC. I'd really love to hear what you learned at the workshop. You'll have to post a synopsis (and show your work!)of what went on.

Hi there, Tracy! Yep, the bear was a simple shape, just light and shadow, foreground and background, with no frills to get in the way.

Enjoy your trip to WI, although I think it's just about as hot up there. Seems like the whole country is baking this summer. Palatine is a NW suburb of Chicago, far enough away to escape the city BS, close enough to enjoy the amenities.

And I'm thinkin' a little yellow ochre for carmel praline ice cream. :-P

Earthula said...

This is a delicious looking bear.. all of the fruit ices showing up... it must be because you mentioned ice cream...or sorbets.

60 is a feat! good for you! You even get through a polar bear when it is 95... sheesh.