Pages

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Artistic Polar Bear Challenge: 100 Ways in 100 Days. #20 - Limited Brushstrokes

And now for the second in our "Stop Futzing And Loosen Up Already!" series.  This idea was inspired by a tutorial I read on Wet Canvas, although I can't find the original post.  The gist of the idea was this:
  • Set up a simple still life subject. 
  • Draw three 4 X 4 inch squares on the substrate of your choice.
  • In the first square, create a simple line drawing of the subject.
  • In the second square, create the line drawing again.  Now paint the drawing in grayscale using no more than 40 brushstrokes.
  • Create the drawing again in the third square.  Paint the drawing in color, using no more than 80 brushstrokes.
Simple, fun, and educational, right?  I'll skip the drawing and color parts of the tutorial, and just do the painting in grayscale.  Since I'm doing a 5 X 7 study instead of a 4 X 4, I increased the usable brushstroke number from 40 to 60.

Limited Brushstroke Bear
Acrylic on paper
 
As far as I was concerned, as long as the brush didn't leave the paper, it counted as only one brushstroke.



Which accounts for all the long, strange, squiggly strokes.

I called it done at 58.  The signature initials don't count.  Hey, it's my rules.  :-)

No comments: