Pages

Friday, June 4, 2010

Artistic Polar Bear Challenge: 100 Ways in 100 Days. #19 - Time Challenge

And now for something completely different.  Gleaning inspiration from The Twenty Minute Challenge, I decided to test my speed brush skills.  Given that these studies are small (5 X 7), a ten-minute time limit was set.
 
Ten-Minute Bear
Acrylic on paper


Normally I'm a consummate paint dabbler, fussing and putzing 'til the piece is on the verge of being overworked.  There's nothing like an kitchen timer ticking away at your elbow to put that little habit to rest.  I used a half inch brush for the study, with one pile of white paint and one pile of black on the palette.  I judged the value, mixed it slightly on the palette, then put paint to paper.  The study was finished with about fifteen seconds to spare.  Admittedly exhilarating, and a wonderful loosening-up exercise.

2 comments:

debwardart said...

Wow, you "challenge people" really are gluttons for punishment - my challenge is just to get a painting done, sometime! I'd go crazy if someone set a timer - and it would have to be set in slow motion time, like days or weeks or even months!

Terri Buchholz said...

Wow indeed! Looks like a very worthwhile exercise! I'm a twinker too. I like the loose, painting with abandon and passion look! My favorite yet although I loved the dirt bear.